Egyptian prosecutor charges 75 over Port Said football riot
Nine police officers charged over violence at match in Mediterranean city in which 74 people died
Egypt’s top prosecutor has charged 75 people with murder and negligence in connection with a deadly football riot last month in the Mediterranean city of Port Said.
At least 74 people were killed in the riot, the world’s worst football-related disaster in 15 years.
Those charged on Thursday include nine police officers and two minors. Among the police officers are Major General Issam Samak, who was Port Said’s chief of security at the time of the riot.
guardian.co.uk © 2012 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds
from (author unknown)